Living near an orchard has it’s perks at this time of the year 🙂 There’s something about locally grown produce that makes me want to bake. So here goes today’s creation. It had to be gluten-free so Andrew could eat it – but I actually think the coconut flour helped enhance the flavours!
for the filling:
- 6 cooking apples – peeled, cored and sliced into thin pieces
- 50g caster sugar (I tried it with light soft brown sugar, but it wasn’t a great taste – so I recommend sticking with caster)
- 30g coconut flour or gluten free porridge oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
for the crumble
- 190g butter
- 100g coconut flour
- 115g caster sugar
Make the filling first –
- Lay apple slices on bottom of slow cooker
- Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl and then pour onto the apples.
- Toss about until covered in the sugar mixture.
Make the crumble –
- In a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour using your finger tips (or a food processor) until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Pour on top of apples and spread evenly.
- Cook in the slow cooker (I set mine to medium) for 3 hours.
- We like it served with ice cream or custard.