We’ve started a new tradition – Make Your Own Dinner Monday! Well, when I say tradition, we’ve done it for the past two weeks lol. But it’s a big hit so I’m going to keep it up.
The first week we made Cheese Pizza and Garlic Dough Balls – which are normally bought from tesco. Being the fussy little people they are, they normally insist on buying the Pizza Express Branded food! Which is really expensive – £6 for the pizza alone.
The next week was meatballs and spaghetti. Which isn’t something we eat on a regular basis, so I thought this made it even more exciting. It’s also one of those recipes where you *really* have to get your hands dirty and touch the ingredients so I was hoping it would trigger their curiosity.
I’ll share the pizza and dough balls recipe down below, but if you think you’d like to make this a weekly part of your routine, then there’s a few things I recommend
- Pick a day when you have plenty of time, as a recipe that takes you 10 minutes to make, could maybe take 40 minutes for the children.
- Start with a real family favourite but then don’t be afraid to stretch the boundaries a little – children are much more likely to eat a dish if they have made it (I know for a fact that if I had made meatballs last week, nobody would have touched it – but because they could see clearly the funny shaped meatballs they made, they couldn’t wait to eat them!)
- Don’t worry about the mess – the memories made and the skills learned are well worth a little extra time cleaning up afterwards. I wrote a blog post last year about the benefits of cooking with your kids – have a read when you get time 🙂
- Keep it simple – a recipe with 5 ingredients is more than enough, especially if your children are young.
This is our simplified version of Pizza and Dough Balls.
Pizza and Dough Balls
- 300g strong bread flour
- 1tsp instant yeast
- 1tsp salt
- 200 mls warm water
- 2tbsp olive oil
- tomato puree (we didn’t measure but probably about 4 tbsp)
- cheese – we used mozzarella and cheddar, grated
- garlic butter
- Make the dough by mixing the flour, salt and yeast together in a big bowl, then add the water and oil, combining to make a wet dough.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes (this was a fun part)
- Put back into the bowl, cover with cling film or tea towel on top of it, for about 30mins.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface.
- Cut it in half.
- Half should be rolled out into a pizza shape, the other half should be shaped into balls.
- Top the pizza base with tomato puree and cheese.
- Put the dough balls in a preheated oven dish and add garlic butter, toss around until butter has melted.
- Bake until golden brown, for us the pizza was cooked in 20 minutes, the dough balls were closer to 30mins.
If you’re interested in recipes that are great for cooking and baking with kids, check out our ebook! In there you’ll find a great pasta sauce recipe that goes well with meatballs, as well as many other delicious repices to try.