I always believed that homemade bread was something really complicated. I thought you needed a bread maker, proving drawer, and a lot of muscle for kneading!lol Maybe for certain types of bread this true, but today I want to share with you our favourite crusty loaf, that really only needs about an hour to make and with 4 ingredients you can’t go wrong!
- 375 mls warm water
- 2 tbsp honey (locally sourced if you can find it)
- 20g dried yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 600g strong white bread flour
- Preheat oven to 220 FAN
- Pour warm water into a jug, add honey and yeast and give it a quick stir.
- Leave it to sit for 10mins until it expands – photos below!
- Weigh out flour and salt in a big bowl, pour wet mixture into dry and mix with your hands until it comes together in a ball.
- Lightly flour a baking tray or ideally a stone, and shape the dough into a long loaf shape.
- Allow to sit in a warm place (I put mine on top of the hob, as the heat from the oven warming makes a gentle warmth) for about 20mins.
- Make 3 or 4 deep slashes in the dough, to allow steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with flour and bake for 25mins until golden brown.