WOW……..100 posts, we’re feeling pretty excited! To celebrate this achievement, we need cake! This is a great recipe, literally just made this morning, as I had some ducks eggs I needed to use up. I realise that a normal person may have made a yummy breakfast with them, but in my head I immediately jumped to cake.
Duck Egg Chocolate Sponge Cake
Preheat oven to 180 Fan and line two baking tins, I’m very lazy and use pre-cut liners– it makes for a quicker clean up at the end! This recipe makes two sponges, but they are very high, so I advise cutting one in half and filling & decorating with chocolate buttercream and freeze the other one for the future (wrap in cling film before freezing).
- 5 duck eggs
- 240g caster sugar
- 250g butter, melted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
For chocolate buttercream
- 350g icing sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- 40g cocoa powder
- 50 mls milk
- Whisk up ducks eggs and sugar in an electric mixer at a medium speed. Do this for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer down to slow, and gradually add the butter.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Split the mixture between 2 baking tins and bake for 30-35 minutes. Check if it’s cooked through by inserting a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, it’s done!
- Make buttercream by combining all the buttercream ingredients in an electric mixer for about 5 minutes. Pipe or spoon onto the cake and Enjoy!